Sunday 24 June 2012

Gluten-free Egg-free Dairy-free Chocolate fudge Cupcakes

Gluten-free Egg-free Dairy-free Chocolate Cupcakes
After playing around with several recipes, I hit on this combination that works, at least, I think so! First of, let me tell you, that here in Singapore, it is very difficult to find ingredients which are properly labelled and certified as being free of this and that, namely egg, dairy, gluten and nuts. Make no mistake. You can get a whole range of stuff but just can't be sure if there are traces of any of the baddies in them. So I work with what I have available and whine about what's easily available to the rest of the world. The recipe had to be egg, dairy, gluten and nut free. I did not want to use xantham gum, because of my issues over its origins and I'm not crazy about the overwhelming taste many gluten-free flours have. So this is what I came up with. Cocoa and cinnamon do a great job in gluten-free recipes to add flavor and yummy aromas while masking the "graininess" of the millet and rice in the cupcakes. I used guar gum as the binder. The cupcakes did not crumble after baking so I think that works as a xantham gum substitute. Maybe, next time I'll try them without guar gum, add more applesauce and ........well, lets see where I go with this....I'll let you know. Current recipe, as is, follows. Let me know what you think.

Gluten free Egg free Dairy free Choc Fudge Cupcakes

Dry Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup rice flour
  • 1/4 cup millet flour
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup pure unsweetened cocoa
  • 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon guar gum
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder 

Wet ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin coconut oil sunflower oil
  • 1/4 cup rice milk 
  • 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal mixed with 3 tablespoon hot water
  • 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon unsweetened apple sauce
Frosting:

  • 1/2 cup non-dairy spread
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoon cocoa
  • 1/4 cup melted gluten-free, dairy-free chocolate

Cupcake Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
  2. Mix wet ingredients into dry and beat with a whisk until well combined.
  3. Half-fill cupcake cases.
  4. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
  5. Check with a toothpick after 8 minutes.
  6. Remove to a wire rack and cool.
  7. Top with egg-free, dairy-free choc fudge topping.
  8. Makes 6 to 8 cupcakes.

Frosting Method:

  1. Beat all ingredients together till smooth.
  2. Swirl on the top of cooled cupcakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment